Friday, March 7, 2014

THE WOLF-WHISTLE MURDER: A NEGRO "CHILD" OR "BOY" WHISTLED AT HER AND THEY KILLED HIM:

From the PBS produced movie, The Murder of Emmett Till, they have made a resource website with extra materials for in and out of classrooms. On this page, Killer's Confession. We got a spelled out version of what was said in Look Magazine with some added information for the sake of content and extra information so we, the later generations, can understand the context surrounding the murder itself.
I think the most interesting thing about this interview was that the killer's was the fact that Emmett was transported in the bed of a pick up truck and never jumped out even though he wasn't tied down for the sole reason that he didn't think these boys had the guts to kill him. The murderers claim that they were never planning on killing Bobo Till, they just wanted to scare him and push him around a bit. Milam: "We were never able to scare him. They had just filled him so full of poison that he was hopeless."After rounds of painfully torturing of Emmett, the two were not please with the little reaction they were receiving.

Milam: "Well, what else could we do? He was hopeless. I'm no bully; I never hurt a nigger in my life. I like niggers -- in their place -- I know how to work 'em. But I just decided it was time a few people got put on notice. As long as I live and can do anything about it, niggers are gonna stay in their place. Niggers ain't gonna vote where I live. If they did, they'd control the government. They ain't gonna go to school with my kids. And when a nigger gets close to mentioning sex with a white woman, he's tired o' livin'. I'm likely to kill him. Me and my folks fought for this country, and we got some rights. I stood there in that shed and listened to that nigger throw poison at me, and I just made up my mind. 'Chicago boy,' I said, 'I'm tired of 'em sending your kind down here to stir up trouble. Goddam you, I'm going to make an example of you -- just so everybody can know how me and my folks stand.'"

I found this as well as the description of how the rest of the murder was followed through a bit out of the normal scope of media for this time, and the media got a lot of backlash from the public, saying it was too raw, though I understand why they thought it was important. It is showing the public exactly what it happening beyond the scope of average racist crimes and that equality is a true end all remedy.



"American Experience." The Murder of Emmett till. PBS. Virginia, Arlington. 1996. Address. <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/till/sfeature/sf_look_confession.html

No comments:

Post a Comment